Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Six months and counting

It was less than six months ago that we started the transition from GMO, highly processed "food" consumers to mostly organic, free pastured, grass fed, non-GMO, label reading sentient beings. We have not gone totally Real Food, organic, or any of the other trendy dietary labels and we still eat out after church on Sundays. But we have made many changes.

There are eggs every morning, salad every night, fresh fruit and veggies whenever I want, and a lot less sugar and bread products.

Out went the Pam, in came the Olive Oil. 
Milk in glass jars from trickling springs via Roots fill the fridge, and fill our bellies because it tastes better and feels better. 
Raw cheeses, fresh made cream cheese and homemade pizza dough are new additions.
Salads are made of Kale and spinach not iceberg lettuce. 
We make our own (cheap) salad dressings. 
Low fat is gone and whole fat is here. 
Yogurt is consumed daily. 
The microwave is rarely used.

I still get my chocolate fix, or my glass of wine, but over all we eat pretty clean. Unless I am at a party because I try everything at least once.  I know I shouldn't and I always feel ill from the processed foods and sugars, but I still do it. I figure I will learn the lesson in about 2032 more parties...maybe.

It isn't that much more costly since we shop at Trader Joes and Costco now carries organics. But we do shop at more stores. (Roots, Giant, Safeway, Whole foods, Trader Joes, Sam's and Costco as opposed to Giant, Safeway, Magruders and Sams.) Magruders near us closed in case you want to know why we don't shop there anymore  but they had some good stuff.

It really has not been difficult. The hardest part is learning where to buy what, and when it goes on sale. We shop more frequently stocking up on items during sales and buying smaller amounts of perishable items so they keep fresh.

We have planted our own fruit trees, embarked on communal gardening with two neighbors, and are constantly looking for ways to grow our own food. I imagine when the basement is finished we will have a pantry that will include bins for apples and onions to keep them cool. We are always reading on homesteading, cooking or gardening.

Everyone has benefited from the changes- DH and I have lost weight and have more energy. The kids focus better, behave better and have MORE energy even though I did not think that was possible. Everyone is more patient, and less moody. We all notice the difference (in temperment, energy and feeling well) when we make poor food choices, especially if there is HFCS or MSG in what we eat.

It's has been a short relatively painless journey to better health. If you haven't considered it, I hope that you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment